Byline: The Log Staff
SAN DIEGO — Beginning May 14, San Diego Bay’s Shelter Island boat launch ramp facility will undergo repair work that will require closure of some of the area’s surrounding parking lots and partial closure to boat access at the ramp.
The Port of San Diego will be making improvements that include resurfacing the boat trailer parking lot, replacing damaged sections of concrete in the lot, re-striping parking stalls and traffic flow lanes, and sealing areas of the boat launch ramp to minimize the development of potholes.
Work will be conducted from 7 a.m.-5 p.m. weekdays and should be completed by May 23. The work timeline is as follows:
* May 14: The parking lot at the boat launch ramp will be closed at 7 a.m. to allow for paving repairs. The boat launch ramp will remain open.
* May 18: The parking lot will reopen, but the launch ramp will be closed from 7 a.m-1 p.m. to allow for repairs.
* May 21: About half of the lower parking lot area at the boat launch ramp will be closed at 7 a.m. to allow for parking stalls to be re-striped.
* May 22: The remaining half of the lower lot will be closed at 7 a.m. for re-striping.
* May 23: Work will be completed by 7 a.m., and the entire parking lot will reopen.
The Shelter Island boat launch facility improvements are part of a $1 million major maintenance project at the Port of San Diego that will make improvements to seven locations throughout the tidelands: the U.S. Coast Guard parking lot on Harbor Drive, the Embarcadero wharf parking lots, the parking lot at Harbor Seafood Mart, the parking lot at Coronado Tidelands Park, a parking lot on Mullinix Drive in Imperial Beach and a parking lot at the National City Marine Terminal.