LONG BEACH — Keith Ives of Alamitos Bay Yacht Club won Long Beach Yacht Club’s 2015 Cal 20 Fun Run, Dec. 12, in a closely fought regatta where only five points separated the first to fourth place finishers.
But this isn’t the first time Ives has been handed the first place take-home trophy from the race committee boat, a tradition in this somewhat casual holiday-time regatta. This makes the fifth time in the last eight years Ives has won this event, held in the usually calm area inside Alamitos Bay’s turning basin.
With cool storms making their way through Southern California in December, Saturday, Dec. 12, turned out to be sunny with moderate southerly breezes gliding the 10 skippers and their crewpersons around the windward/leeward courses.
Taking second place honors was Alamitos Bay YC’s Junior Staff Commodore Chuck Clay who finished 2 points behind Ives with Long Beach YC’s Staff Commodore Mike Van Dyke finishing in third.
This traditional regatta, held on the first or second weekend of December, puts the emphasis on fun with joking and well wishes heard from boat to boat. It’s a good old fashioned day of racing with friends and family.
1. Keith Ives/Chuck Stevens, ABYC, 6-1-1-2-5-4, 19 points
2. Chuck Clay, ABYC, 1-4-2-4-4-6, 21
3. Mike Van Dyke, LBYC, 2-6-5-6-1-2, 22
4. Steve George, ABYC, 4-3-3-3-8-3, 24
5. Wendy Corzine, LBYC, 3-7-8-1-7-1, 27
6. Ron & Mike Wood, ABYC/LBYC, 7-2-7-5-2-8, 31
7. Jeff Ives, ABYC, 5-5-10-9-3-9, 41 (on tiebreaker)
8. Stuart Robertson, 8-10-4-8-6-5, 41
9. Erin Rustigian, ABYC, 9-8-6-7-10-7, 47
10. David Miller, ABYC, 10-9-9-11DNF-9-10, 58