NEWPORT BEACH—Not many businesses can say they have been operating since the 1800s, but the Dory Fishing Fleet and Market can. Pictured here is the Newport Pier and Dory Fleet Market in 1930. The Dory Fishing Fleet and Market is a beachside fishing cooperative that was founded in 1891 at the base of what was then McFadden Wharf, now known as the Newport Pier. The Dory Fleet, a registered historical landmark, is considered the last beachside cooperative of its kind in the United States. According to the company website, Dory Fleet Market began when an enterprising fisherman tired of selling his fish to the wholesalers began marketing to the public on the beach.
Orange County Archives photo