The Port of San Diego’s Board of Port Commissioners approved more than $400,000 in funding and $1 million-plus in services for 64 events to be held on the San Diego Bay waterfront during the 2019-2020 fiscal year. In all $1.5 million in funding and services will be offered to a wide variety of events and organizations, with funding provided from the port district’s Tidelands Activation Program. The program offers an annual grant program for groups hosting events, large and small. The events aim to engage local and draw in visitors to the San Diego Bay Waterfront.
Port district staff stated they received 77 applications for sponsorship. The 64 recipients will receive a combined $430,200 in funding and $1,093,887 in services.
One of the events receiving sponsorship: the San Diego International Boat Show, which is put on by the Duncan McIntosh Co. and scheduled to start on June 11, 2020.
Here are a few of the 64 events sponsored by the port district for the 2019-2020 fiscal year:
- Challenged Sailors San Diego’s Adaptive Sailing for Disabled Sailors (various dates)
- Youth Fishing Program (Aug. 10)
- Chula Vista HarborFest (Aug. 17)
- Kiwanis Club of Imperial Beach/South Bay Kiwanis Kids Fishing Derby (Aug. 24)
- Kiwanis Club of Imperial Beach/South Bay Kiwanis Kids Ocean Science Discovery Day (Sept. 28)
- San Diego Fleet Week (Nov. 6)
- Good Neighbor Project 48th annual San Diego Bay Parade of Lights (Dec. 8 and 15)
- Institute for Shipboard Organization Semester at Sea – prospective student event (Dec. 22-Jan. 5, 2020)
- San Diego Anglers 25th annual San Diego Anglers Open Bay Bass Tournament (Feb. 1, 2020)
- San Diego Sportfishing Council Day at the Docks (April 19, 2020)
- South Bayfront Sailing Association South Bay Maritime Fest (April 25, 2020)
- Maritime Museum Association of San Diego Festival of the Sea (May 23, 2020)
- San Diego Bay Festival (May 30, 2020)
- San Diego International Boat Show (June 11, 2020)
- San Diego Anglers 9th annual Port of San Diego Kids Fishing Derby (June 14, 2020)