SAN DIEGO-Spotted in this 1887 photo is a ship sailing by Point Loma in San Diego, with the old lighthouse in view. The Old Point Loma Lighthouse was built in 1855 at the southern tip of Sunset Cliffs Natural Park. It served as a beacon for sailors and stood watch over the entrance to San Diego Bay for 36 years. According to the National Park Service, in 1891, the light was extinguished and the keeper moved to a new lighthouse location closer to the water at the tip of the Point. Although not in use anymore, the Old Point Loma Lighthouse still stands watch over San Diego and NPS has refurbished the interior to its historic 1880s appearance. It is part of the Cabrillo National Monument and is open to visitors all year, except Christmas Day, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.