Several collegiate sailors from Southern California make the list for excellence in academia and competitive sailing.
CAMBRIDGE, Massachusetts — Nearly two-dozen college sailors from Southern California were named to the 2017-18 All-Academic Sailing Team, a national list compiled by the Inter-Collegiate Sailing Association, or ICSA. The honorary team awards college sailors for academic and competitive excellence during the 2017-18 school year. Honorees, who were vetted by a seven-member committee, must have at a 3.3 cumulative grade point average (4.0 scale) and competed as a junior or senior during the last academic year.
There were 238 members on this year’s All-Academic Sailing Team, with 22 of them hailing from the Los Angeles, Orange County or San Diego regions.
- Julia Kim, Los Angeles, Senior, Computer Science, Classics (Brown University)
- Alyson Crowley, Dana Point, Junior, Biological Sciences (California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo)
- Helen Payne, Dana Point, Junior, Biological Sciences (California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo)
- Katherine Matheson, San Diego, Senior, Marketing (College of Charleston)
- Matt Cappetta, San Diego, Junior, Philosophy & American Studies, French (Fordham University)
- Roberto Stevens, Los Angeles, Junior, Finance, Alternative Investments & FinTech (Fordham University)
- Cutter O’Connell, San Diego, Senior, Mechanical Engineering, Finance (Massachusetts Institute of Technology)
- Janel DeCurtis, Redondo Beach, Senior, Forensic Science, Biology/Pre-Law (Roger Williams University)
- Gigi Dean, Huntington Beach, Junior, Anthropology, Chemistry (San Diego State University)
- Cassie Obel, Marina Del Rey, Junior, Psychology (Stanford University)
- Benjamin Hynes, Pasadena, Senior, Aerospace Engineering (U.S. Naval Academy)
- Jimmy Madigan, Newport Beach, Senior, Aerospace Engineering (U.S. Naval Academy)
- Arjun Boddu, San Clemente, Senior, Electrical Engineering (UCLA)
- Zoe Hessler, Mission Viejo, Senior, Cognitive Science, Digital Humanities (UCLA)
- Laura Roudebush, Newport Beach, Senior, Human Biology and Society (UCLA)
- Robert Johnson, Solana Beach, Junior, Economics and Accounting, Statistics (University of California Santa Barbara)
- Christopher Weis, El Segundo, Senior, Mechanical Engineering (University of California Santa Barbara)
- Sterling Henken, Coronado, Senior, Physical Geography (University of California Santa Barbara)
- Annika Garrett, Culver City, Junior, Psychology & Human Development & Family Studies (University of Hawai’i)
- August Sturm, San Diego, Junior, Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering (University of Michigan)
- Melissa Schem, Pacific Palisades, Senior, Real Estate Development, Business Law (University of Southern California)