Del Rey, American Legion and Lake Gregory yacht clubs were all honored in annual competition.
LONG BEACH—Yacht clubs from Southern California, Arizona, Nevada, Utah and Baja California were recognized for civic outreach, charitable activities and member services during an annual awards event held in Long Beach on Nov. 14.
The Southern California Yachting Association (SCYA) awarded “Club of the Year” honors to yacht clubs in three categories.
Del Rey Yacht Club was named Club of the Year in the Senior Member category, while American Legion Yacht Club earned the same recognition in the Regular Member category.
The top Associate Member club was Lake Gregory Yacht Club. Lake Gregory YC is located on Lake Gregory in Crestline, north of San Bernardino and west of Lake Arrowhead. Del Rey YC is based in Marina del Rey and American Legion YC is in Newport Beach.
Cabrillo Yacht Club (San Pedro) and King Harbor Yacht Club (Redondo Beach) were also recognized with the Commodore’s Award. The award was granted to both clubs, according to SCYA staff, for “accumulating a high percentage of possible points.”
Nine other awards were handed out as part of SCYA’s “2019 Recognition Awards.” Those recipients were:
– Richard and Susan Countess, Pierpoint Bay Yacht Club, George L. and Kay B. Fisher Memorial Trophy (distinguished service to yachting)
– Pat Reynolds, The Mariner, editor and publisher, James M, Webster Perpetual Trophy (outstanding contribution to yachting, with or without being associated with yachting)
– Charles Pascal, California Yacht Club, Maritime Order of the Golden Key (outstanding service as amateur radio operator)
– Kevin Hawkins, California Yacht Club, Mort Bloom Perpetual Trophy (excellence, commitment and duration of judges, umpires and race officers)
– Denise George, Santa Monica Windjammers’ Club, Peggy Slater Memorial Trophy (enhancing women’s participation in sailing)
– Peter Tietz, Lake Mission Viejo Yacht Club, SCYA Honorary Commodore
– Roy Disney & Pyewacket crew, California Yacht Club, SCYA Rescue Award (outstanding display of heroism and compassion in sport of sailing)
– Mark Surber, Snoopy, Coronado Yacht Club, SCYA Transpac Trophy (top finishing SYCA member boat on corrected time)
– Anne Sacks, California Yacht Club, Warren Ewert Memorial Trophy (distinguished service to SCYA).
The SCYA was established in 1921 as a communication, educational and organizational hub of the yachting community in Southern California, Arizona, Nevada, Utah and Baja California.