Houdini: Terror on the Magic Isle
Now through Oct. 7
- Escape artist Harry Houdini delved into the magic of moviemaking toward the end of his career. This unique exhibition focuses on the 1920 adventure film “Terror Island” in which he starred. Ephemera and movie props from the film made on Catalina Island, nicknamed “The Magic Isle,” will be on display. The exhibition highlights a real-life occurrence in Catalina’s waters that placed Houdini in a precarious situation that ended in mystery. Contact the museum at 310-510-2424 for specific hours and entry fees, or visit CatalinaMuseum.org.
Wheeland Brothers Beach Party
- Descanso Beach Club will host the Wheeland Brothers Beach party on Aug. 12, from 1-5 p.m. The live music event also features drink specials. The club hosts live music concerts on Sundays throughout the summer. Call 310-510-7410 for more information.
32nd annual Two Harbors Buffalo Chip Toss
- Come test your athletic skills and compete for the furthest toss at the annual “Jimmy Walker” Buffalo Chip Toss. Prizes will be awarded for the furthest throws and all chips will be provided for the event. Sign-ups begin at 2 p.m.; tossing begins at 3 p.m. at the base of the pier at Two Harbors. No late sign-ups allowed. Call 310-510-4249 for more information.
16th annual Two Harbors Microbrew Fest
- Sample a selection of microbrews and enjoy live music on the beach at Two Harbors as part of the annual Microbrew Fest. Tickets go on sale Aug. 1. Organizers state tickets generally sell out. Nearly three-dozen breweries and 500 people are expected to be in attendance. The festival runs from 1-4 p.m. Admission price (not yet announced) includes a complementary beer glass, unlimited tastings of all participating breweries, live entertainment, samples from Mad Mike’s Sausage, complementary appetizers, and access to the event silent auction. All proceeds from this event go to the Sophie Tarbuck Scholarship Foundation and directly benefit scholarships for Avalon Schools. Moorings are available. Call 310-510-4205 for more information.
U.S. Outrigger Championships
- Southern California Outrigger Racing Association’s annual championship event from Avalon to Newport Beach returns Sept. 8 and 9. Visit catalinacrossing.org or call 858-442-2536 for more information.
Catalina Island Women’s Forum Wine Festival
- Experience the annual Wine Festival along the Avalon Bay on South Beach, near Crescent and Clarissa Avenues. More than 70 prestigious wines, silent auction, gourmet hors d’oeuvres and live music will be on hand. Proceeds of the event support mentoring and scholarship programs. Call 323-686-2493 for more information. Tickets are available online at theciwf.org/wine-festival/.
1st-ever Mini Golf Open
- Don’t miss your chance for a $10,000 first-place award! Mini golf lovers of all ages and skill levels are signing up to compete for a total purse of $15,000 at the 1st ever Catalina Mini Golf Open, Sept. 28-30, at Golf Gardens in Avalon. This three-day tournament will feature three total rounds. Registration is $95 per person for the first 100 participants; $145 thereafter. Play begins at 8 a.m. each morning. Five persons max per tee time; first round score will determine cut.
- Halloween might be on Oct. 31 but Buccaneer Days will be coming to Two Harbors, Oct. 4-7. The Pirate Village at Harbor Reef Restaurant will feature multiple bars and live bands everyday, as well as DJs every night. The event will also feature costume contests and treasure hunts. Tickets are available online at visitcatalinaisland.myshopify.com/collections/2018-buccaneer-days. Mooring reservations will also be accepted.
- Live music, food, games, hayrides, pumpkin patch on the beach and more will be featured on Crescent Avenue during the annual Fall Fest. The street event, considered the official kick-off for fall on the island, will be held 5-9 p.m. and raise money for local charities. Call 310-510-0220, ext. 231, for more information.
Avalon Home Tour
- Catalina Island Medical Center Foundation hosts the Avalon Home Tour. The Oct. 20 event will feature a glimpse into five of the most unique homes on the island, including Catalina’s oldest structure and a boat converted into a house in the 1920s. Check-in begins at 1 p.m.; touring runs 3-5 p.m. Call 310-510-5160 for more information.
Photo Credit: Parimal M. Rohit